The Marjorie Graber-McInnis Short Story Award was established by Don McInnis to commemorate the life of his wife, a short story writer who lived in Canberra and passed away on 25 September 1997. The award is for an emerging ACT region writer.
The first prize is $600. The winning short story and up to three highly commended stories may be published in an issue of the ACT Writers Centre magazine.
Entries close at 4pm on Friday 26 October 2018.
- Entries must be between 1,500–3,000 words in any genre and on any topic.
- The award will be for an emerging writer (i.e., without a novel or collection of short stories published or accepted for publication by a publisher with national distribution, at the closing date for submissions to the award).
- Entries must not have been previously published or won a prize in another competition.
- The author must reside permanently within the ACT or region (which covers the shires of Young, Harden, Gundagai, Tumut, Boorowa, Yass Valley, Upper Lachlan, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Wingecarribee, Palerang, Greater Queanbeyan, Shoalhaven, Eurobodalla, Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma Monaro, and Snowy River).
- No names are to appear on the manuscript.
- All submissions must be made via Submittable. Emailed or posted entries will not be accepted.
- There is a limit of one entry per person.
- Entries must be received by 4pm Friday 26 October 2018. Late entries will not be accepted.
- An entry fee of $10 for ACT Writers Centre members and $15 for non-members applies. Please be very sure about your membership status before you apply. An incorrect entry fee will render your entry invalid.
- By entering this competition you give permission for your poem to be published in the ACT Writers Centre magazine if it wins or is highly commended. We will notify you if your poem is to be published.
- The winners will be announced and the prizes awarded at the ACT Writers Centre Annual Awards Night on December 6. A shortlist may be released prior to the announcement.
- Current staff and board members of the ACT Writers Centre are ineligible for consideration in the Marjorie Graber-McInnis Short Story Award.
- This award may be cancelled at any time at the discretion of the judges or the ACT Writers Centre. In the event of cancellation, entry fees will be reimbursed.
All submissions must be uploaded via this Submittable form. Please note that you will need an account to view the form.