This award is administered by the ACT Writers Centre in collaboration with Demos Journal.
June Shenfield was a poet, playwright and performance artist who lived and worked in Paris for much of her life. She wrote experimental, free verse poetry that was designed to be read aloud. In 1985, with her husband Ken Shepherd, she opened the first gallery and bookshop in France devoted to Australian art and writing. Her poetry book Tristesse was published in France in a bilingual edition in 2004. She died of breast cancer later that year.
The winner will receive $600, second prize will be $400 and the runner up will receive $200. The winning poems and up to three highly commended poems may be published in an issue of the ACT Writers Centre magazine.
Congratulations to Riahta Ranford who was awarded the June Shenfield Poetry Award this year at the ACT Writing & Publishing Awards night. Rosalind Moran and Simone King received Highly Commended Awards. Thank you to all our entrants.
- The award will be for an emerging poet (i.e., without a collection of poems published or accepted for publication by a publisher with national distribution, at the closing date for submissions to the award) or student (must have a valid student identification at the time of closing date for the award).
- Entrants must reside permanently within Australia.
- Entries must not exceed 80 lines.
- Entries must not have been previously published or won a prize in another competition.
- Please do not place your name on the manuscript document.
- All submissions must be made via Submittable. Emailed or posted entries will not be accepted.
- There is a limit of one entry per person.
- Entries must be received by 4pm Sunday 1 September 2019. Late entries will not be accepted.
- An entry fee of $10 for ACT Writers Centre members and $20 for non-members applies. Please be very sure about your membership status before you apply. An incorrect entry fee will render your entry invalid.
- By entering this competition you give permission for your poem to be published in the ACT Writers Centre magazine if it wins or is highly commended. We will notify you if your poem is to be published.
- The winners will be announced and the prizes awarded at the ACT Writers Centre Annual Awards Night in December 2019. A shortlist may be released prior to the announcement.
- Current staff and board members of the ACT Writers Centre are ineligible for consideration in the June Shenfield Poetry Award.
- This award may be cancelled at any time at the discretion of the judges or the ACT Writers Centre. In the event of cancellation, entry fees will be reimbursed.
Demos Journal is a progressive journal that aims to put the demos or “people” back into democracy. It is a youth-led, ANU based publication that is dedicated to creating a critical and creative space for politics, poetry and ideas around the theme of democracy in a changing climate.
All submissions must be uploaded via this Submittable form. Please note that you will need an account to view the form.