ACT Publishing Awards
Supported by Dymocks, Belconnen.
Submissions are now closed. Winners will be announced at the 2016 ACT Writers Centre Annual Awards Night in December.
Please note that our office is closed until 8 September. For all award-related enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (Extensions may be granted due to the closure of the office at the ACT Writers Centre's discretion, but must be requested by the due date.)
The aim of the ACT Publishing Awards is to recognise, reward and promote writing by ACT region authors that has been published by small publishers or self-published. The Awards are administered by the ACT Writers Centre, in recognition of the excellent writing published locally.
There are four categories:
- children's books (This category may be divided by age group, pending judging feedback and volume of entries.)
The awards will be judged on the excellence of the writing/content of the titles entered in each category.
Winners will receive a $100 cash prize as well as $100 voucher to Dymocks (Belconnen or Tuggeranong) and book stickers certifying their award. Certificates will be provided for the winning and commended entries.
How to submit: fill out the online form accompanied by $10 (member) or $15 (non-member) payment. Entries must be postmarked on or before Wednesday 7 September 2016 (or delivered in person to the ACT Writers Centre by 5pm that day). Entries can be made out to:
ACT Writers Centre Awards, Gorman Arts Centre, 55 Ainslie Avenue, Braddon ACT 2612
Karen Viggers and Craig Cormick
Biff Ward and Kristen Alexander
Geoff Page and Andrew Galan
Tracey Hawkins and K.J. Taylor
Conditions of entry
- Titles must have been published (or self–published) during the 2015 calendar year, made available for sale, and published in print book format, with an ISBN.
- The writer must have been residing in the ACT or region (which covers the shires of Young, Harden, Gundagai, Tumut, Boorowa, Yass Valley, Upper Lachlan, Goulburn Mulwaree, Wingecarribee, Palerang, Greater Queanbeyan, Shoalhaven, Eurobodalla, Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro and Snowy River) at the time of publication or during the nominating period.
- Entries may have been published in the ACT, interstate or overseas, provided the publisher has no more than fifteen employees.
- Entries must be postmarked on or before Wednesday 7 September 2016 (or delivered in person to the ACT Writers Centre by 5pm that day). Two hard copies must be forwarded.
- There is no limit on the number of titles entered by any writer or publisher; however, each title can only be entered in one category.
- The entrant can be the writer or the publisher, but the prize will go to the writer. Any publisher submitting an entry must inform the writer(s) that they have done so.
- The judging panels may elect to release a shortlist prior to the awards announcement.
- One winner will be selected in each category, and the writer of each winning title will be awarded a prize and a certificate. Based on the merit of the entries, and at the judges' discretion, highly commended certificates in each category may also be awarded.
- Books will not be returned after the awards, but will remain with the judges as part of the judge's fee.
- The winners will be announced and the prizes awarded at the ACT Writers Centre Annual Awards Night in December.
- Books written or published by current staff and board members of the ACT Writers Centre are ineligible for consideration in the ACT Writing and Publishing Awards.
- This award or any category within this award may be cancelled at any time at the discretion of the judges or the ACT Writers Centre. In the event of cancellation, books will be returned to the author/publisher who submitted them.